Poetic Enlightenment

Hi all

Its been a long break, which I have spent mainly running through mud and writing poetry. For more on the former I will soon post my new book entitled The Road Runner, but in the meantime here's some verse, recognised as 'very good' in my Creative Writing course.

Paths to Enlightenment


The Bus Stop


Beneath the tors and moors of England
I sit and wait for the bus to come.
A stoic worship in a pagan shrine
Amongst mags, rags and stench of humankind.

Rains fall, plants sprout and stone becomes moss.
My thoughts meander to a timeless flow.

Then one day I hear a mechanic roar
And a garrulous cascade thunder off the tor.
A torrent of screams urging me aboard:
'Get on, we're late! Come on, open the door!'

I withdraw inside the empty shelter
To shield my soul in its dark embrace


The Sign

A rusting pendulum rocks on the breeze
Creaking and squeaking like old man's knees.
'The centre of the financial world,' it screams
Over a desert of discarded dreams.

Relics of offices built to scrape the sky
Lie crushed in rock - fossilised.
The great explosion of wealth and greed
Smoulders in the ash of forgotten fires.

I turn aghast and begin to choke
Gagging on a cloud of burning notes.
The Queen, Charles Darwin, ten pounds sterling;
Poison gas to higher learning


The Tower

Above the town on a throne of power
It looks over like a smiling Buddha,
Laughing at our dry chaffed lips
That long for the taste of its blessed water

In shops and malls and coffee houses
We submerge our lusts in whirling seas.
But still the endless thirst remains
And we stay lost in our material maze

The doors open into a cavern of mirrors
Where are reflections are barren and bare.
One by one they crack and shatter
To reveal the real, the Dhamma and the tower.

Through your laughing mouth the waters flow
A pure clear light flooding the world below.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Alliterative Alternative

Why I run fifty miles a week

A Poetic Interlude