Coping with Cancer - Charity


Hello from my sofa at home! We’ve reached the end of treatment number seven and I now have a week off to recover. Usually I spend my first no-chemo day by re-introducing another poisonous drug to my system (i.e. alcohol), but this weekend I’ve decided to stay clean. My housemate/borderline alcoholic, is running a half-marathon for charity and out of solidarity I am staying alcohol free. Don’t open the wine, Sophie!
This week’s blog is about charity. The British public are a very charitable sort, and cancer charities receive the most donations out of all of them. I’m sure you’ve all given money at some point, even if it just to get rid of an annoying chugger on the high street, so as someone who’s on the other end, I’d like to give you an honest appraisal of where this donation goes.
What their pitch?
‘At Cancer Research UK we pioneer research to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. With no government funding, our progress depends on your donations.’
How did they help me?
If it wasn’t for the developments in chemotherapy drugs the last six months would have been a nightmare. Instead of lying on a bed being sick, I’ve been able to live a relatively normal life – and keep my luscious blond locks! Although we cannot cure the disease, treatments for the majority of cancers are now much more bearable.
They also have a very FACTUAL website that doesn’t pull any punches. Sometimes this can be slightly traumatic - sections such as ‘How can cancer kill you?’ are not recommended bedtime reading, but mostly its very informative and helpful. Hiccups and cancer? There’s a page for that. Thinking problem during chemo? There’s a page for that. Chemotherapy and sex drive? There’s a page for that – not that I ummm…needed that, but you know, its there.
What they do that’s cool?
They fund lots of amazing research that could lead to such cool things as: - Targeted cancer treatment, that nukes the tumour without killing othr health cells - Identifying specific cancer genes, which could be isolated and destroyed before causing the disease - Using mobile technology to improve early diagnosis If we do ever find a cure for cancer, they’ll be the ones who’ve made it happen.
What’s their pitch?
‘Macmillan Cancer Support's goal is to reach and improve the lives of everyone living with cancer in the UK. They look at the social, emotional and practical impact cancer can have, and campaign for better cancer care.’
How did they help me?
A slightly more people-friendly organisation, Macmillan convey the jolly side of a having a potentially life-threatening illness. They helped me cope with the real-life problems that cancer causes. What happens if I can’t go to work? Can I travel abroad when I have cancer? What will the side-effects of chemo be and how can I deal with them?
Through MacMillan I learned that cancer patients have disability rights, cannot be discriminated against in work and are even able to receive a grant for their fashionable knitwear!
What do they do that really cool?
MacMillan conduct a number of campaigns to promote better care for cancer patients. These include encouraging banks to provide facilities for financial support, raising awareness of the problems that patients face after treatment and campaigning for better care throughout the process of treatment.
They have an excellent online community where cancer patients can talk to like-minded individuals about their problems. Its fair to say that subjects like ‘Really painful nipple,’ ‘Testosterone without testicles’ and ‘Does anyone else have blue pee?’ are probably not best asked on Facebook.
What’s their pitch?
‘Our mission is to give effect to the patient voice, to improve patient experience and support people to engage fully in their own care.’
How did they help me?
If I’d only they had helped me.
One phrase. Fear of Finding Out (or FOFO). The Patients Association campaigns for patients to receive better treatment if they are concerned or worried about a sign of illness. Early diagnosis is the key to cancer prevention, but for me, the very idea of having cancer scared the crap out of me. Had I understood more about early diagnosis and treatment, then perhaps I would have been properly tested. As it was, I saw my GP a few times, but they were always happy to give me an easy answer and send me on my way – and I was happy to take it. This is something that needs to change.
What do they do that’s cool?
They’ve have funded an online quiz - Crush your FOFO - which invites players to answer a series of questions to help them discover just how seriously they are affected by FOFO - and the possible next steps they should take. Despite the light-hearted headline and cartoon graphics, the campaign's serious aim is to convince people how important it is to seek professional help before it's too late. In the end what should override our FOFO is the fear of finding out too late, and the consequences of doing so.
What’s their pitch?
‘The Fountain Centre is a charity for cancer patients, their families and carers. We provide information, counselling and complementary therapies, allowing patients to make informed choices and regain control of their future.’
How did they help me?
The Fountain Centre is a charitable organisation within the Royal Surrey Hospital, that provides a haven of peace and therapy to help cancer patients through their treatment. For me, they have basically got me through chemotherapy. If it wasn’t for the free massages, acupuncture and counselling sessions, I’m not sure how I would have coped.
What do they do that’s cool?
Take your pick: Indian Head Massage; Hypnotherapy; Massage; Bach Flower Remedies (I don’t even know what this is); and the previously mentioned Hydrotherm Massage. Cancer treatment has never been so pleasurable.
Whats their pitch?
‘GUTS aims to improve the survival rates of people with bowel cancer by funding better screening, detection, treatment and facilities, as well as research into the disease.’
How did they help me?
Essentially, they have helped pay for some of the facilities that I’ve used for my treatment. That machine with the long tube and the video camera? GUTS helped to pay for that. The radiotherapy machines specific for bowel cancer patients? GUTS helped pay for those.
What do they do that really cool?
There’s no way around it. Colo-rectal cancer is really gross. None of us want to think about it and none of us certainly want to talk about it. But its really important and is affecting more and more people nationwide.
GUTS raise the conversation. They initiated one of the first bowel cancer mass screening programmes in the UK, reaching 20,000 patients, and have recently arranged for over 50,000 faecal testing kits to be sent across southern England. With more funding, they could have helped me, much more than a GP. They also sponsor the excellent Bolt Round the Holt races, which I can highly recommend.

There are many other fantastic charities that provide potentially life-saving help to those suffering with cancer. I am one of 360,000 people diagnosed with disease every year in the UK and each us has our own needs and difficulties. While the above organisations have been invaluable to me, I am only one person, with one type of condition. There are millions of others out there.
No-one should be compelled to donate money, but if you are, cancer charities are a good bet. 1 in 2 of us will experience cancer in our life time. Organisations like GUTS and The Fountain Centre help directly, and would absolutely not exist without local fundraising. Giving money can have a direct impact and may help you in the future. It has helped me.
So, here’s where I direct you to my London Marathon sponsorship page. Unfortunately, I am too sick to run - but Sophie, my housemate, is running the Reading Half Marathon for me (and for GUTS), so if you fancy sponsoring someone who is really going to suffer for their cause, her page is here:
I’ll be out on course with my GUTS bucket, trying to look cold, emaciated and needy. That may just be the hangover.
Have a great weekend,
Ben
Next time: Party time - It’s the final blog post! They’ll be jokes, games, wine, drugs, cheese, cats and maybe a slow-dance at the end. Dress code – fashionable knitwear. Hope to see you there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Alliterative Alternative

Why I run fifty miles a week

A Poetic Interlude